French toast is a special treat on many a breakfast table, but if not prepared properly, the result may be a soggy, mushy mess. Using the right bread and custard ingredients and taking a little extra time in the cooking makes all the difference. Create the ideal French toast that's crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, and you'll be a breakfast VIP.
Eggless French Toast Recipe
Preparation Time:- 5 Minutes
Cooking Time:- 10 Minutes
Makes:- 3 Bread slices
Bread - 3 Slices
Custard powder - 2 tablespoon (see notes)
Brown Sugar - 2 Tbsp or as per taste
Non Dairy Milk - 1/2 cup ( I used almond milk)
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 Tsp
Oil for frying
Powdered Sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
Your favorite fruits (optional)
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (93C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Slide baking sheet into oven. (It is best to make French toast in batches, so this is to keep cooked batches warm while the rest are cooked)
1) Boil milk over a stovetop or in a microwave . Let it cool down a bit.
2) Mix Custard powder, Sugar, Milk and cinnamon powder in a big bowl/plate without any lumps.
3) Heat the non stick skillet/pan with a little bit of oil.
4) Dip your bread slices on the custard mixture and make sure to do this very quickly to avoid the bread from soaking too much – about a second or two (and not more!)
5) Cook/toast bread slices on each side until golden in color (still on low heat) and add oil as necessary.Transfer cooked French toast to warm oven while you cook the remaining bread slices.
Transfer to a plate and serve with your favorite fruit, syrup, jam or chocolate sauce.
More Vegan Recipes
1) If the bread seems to be sticking to the pan, don't panic. Just leave it a few seconds for the coating to set then slide it about a bit in the oil. It will be sticky at first but will sort itself out.
2) If you don’t have Custard Powder, use cornstarch, a pinch of yellow food color and some vanilla essence
Another Way To Avoid Sogginess:- First lightly toast the bread ( On stove top or in Oven). Then brush the batter onto one side of the bread rather than dipping the bread in the batter & brush the other side when ready to flip toast in the skillet.Make sure to use a good non stick skillet and keep your vegan butter handy while cooking. Cook on medium heat.