You won't even miss the meat when it's substituted with sautéed sweet potatoes. It's filling, fiber-rich and plays well with creamy black beans. Also, crisping the outside of each burrito may seem unnecessary, but it’s definitely well worth the effort.
This burrito might surprise you with its sweetness, but at the same time spices offer a savory balance to the cinnamon. Using whole wheat tortillas can complete the wrap the healthy way by keeping you fuller, longer.These burritos freeze well too.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Vegan Burrito
Preparation Time:- 10 Minutes
Cooking Times:- 20-30 Minutes
Makes:- 8-10 burritos
Olive Oil:- 2 Tbsp
Garlic:- 1 Tbsp , finely Chopped
Bell Pepper:- 1 , finely chopped
Sweet Potato:- 2-3 medium sized , cut into small cubes ( about 4 cups)
Black beans:- 1 15oz can, drained and washed well
Cumin Powder:- 1 Tsp
Brown Sugar:- 1 Tsp
Cinnamon:- 1/2 Tsp
Hot Sauce:- As per your taste
Soy Sauce:- 1/2 Tbsp
Lemon juice:- of 1/2 Lemon
Spicy Salsa:- 1/2 Cup
Cilantro:- 1/3 Cup, roughly chopped.
TO MAKE THE STUFFING
1) Heat oil in a large non stick pan. When hot add garic , fry for 10-20 seconds and add bell pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
2) Add sweet potatoes and cook it covered until soft but not mushy. ( for about 10 minutes)
3) Add salt, cumin powder , brown sugar, cinnamon, hot sauce & soy sauce. Mix everything well.
4) Add black beans, lemon juice and salsa , mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5) Switch Off the gas, let the mixture cool down little bit and then fold in cilantro leaves.
TO MAKE THE BURRITO
1) Warm your tortilla on a plate in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds.The tortilla should be warm and pliable.
2) Add the stuffing ( & any additional toppings you want) in the center of each open flour tortilla & then fold. ( see the picture below)
3)Coat an 8-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium to medium-high heat.Transfer the burrito to the hot skillet (seam side down ) and cook until light brown, carefully flip the burrito and cook the another side. ( this step is optional).
4) Wrap in foil if desired. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
Serve the burritos on a bed of rice, if you like, with plenty of salsa. Enjoy!
More Vegan Recipes
You can make these ahead of time or on the weekend and freeze...Check this post for step by step tutorial on HOW TO MAKE ,FREEZE & REHEAT YOUR BURRITOS
Serve with the following optional additions:
(But of you are planning to freeze the burrito then DO NOT ADD anything other than the Sweet potato & Black Bean Stuffing and then you can serve the optional additions on side or on the top while serving).
diced avocado or guacamole
vegan sour cream
Diced seeded tomatoes
Hot sauce or sriracha
HOW TO FOLD A BURRITO:-