I never met anyone who doesn't love pizza, its everyones fav regardless of their age. I bake pizza once a week for my daughters lunch box and i try to make it as healthy as possible and sneak in as many vegetables as i can..:),my daughter doesn't mind eating anything over pizza as long as it looks and tastes like pizza and is covered with cheese( vegan offcourse). So yesterday i tried adding spinach puree to my pizza dough and it came out great, on top of that i covered the whole crust with more spinach along with other toppings to increase the dose of spinach in every bite.
Whole Wheat Flour:- 2 Cups
All Purpose flour:- 2 Cup
Warm water:- 1 cup
Sugar:- 2 Tbsp
Salt:- 1/2 Tsp
Spinach Puree:- 1 Cup ( I steamed the spinach before making the puree)
Onion, Chopped spinach , Marinated Artichoke, vegan cheese
1. Warm the water in the microwave. Make sure it is not hot otherwise it will kill the yeast.
2. Mix yeast, sugar, salt, oil and warm water together in a bowl. Leave it for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes you should see a froth appearing on this mixture. This indicates that yeast is active.
3. Add wholewheat flour , all purpose flour & spinach puree in the above mixture (from step 2), mix everything well , make this into dough. Dough will be little sticky so flour your surface or apply little oil in your hands to handle the dough.
4. After making dough brush the dough with some oil so that it doesn't dry while we let it to rise or you can cover it with food wrap also.
5. For best rising, select temp as 350F and bake time one minute, turn the oven off after one minute even if it says preheat. The idea is to create a warm environment for the yeast to do its work. Cover the dough with food wrap and let dough rest inside this warm place for 2 hour. The dough will double in size.( punch down the dough after the first hour and let it rise again for 1 hour
6. Prepare your toppings in the meantime.
7. Grease the pizza pan with some oil and then put dough in the center of pizza pan and form it into a disk. I do this by hands and not by rolling pin( you can use the rolling pin if you wish). Make it at least 12" large in diameter so make sure pizza pan is large enough. I use 15"X14" rectangle pan.
8. Let dough stand for 20 more minutes.Put toppings & cheese as you wish.
9. Bake the pizza for 15 minutes at bottom most rack in oven at 450. Make sure the oven is preheated before you put the pizza in.
Enjoy your healthy Pizza..:)
More Vegan Recipes & Pizza Recipes