Spinach tortillas are a nutritious option for your family .Their soft and pliable texture makes them the perfect wrap for any occasion.Homemade tortillas and chips taste way better than the store-bought kind, and they're remarkably easy—and quick—to make.
Spinach:- 5 cups
Whole Wheat Flour:- 1 Cup
All Purpose Flour:- 2 Cups
Baking Powder:- 1/4 Tsp
Salt:- 1/2 Tsp
Oil:- 1/8 Cup
Water:- Approx 1/2 Cup
1) Blanch the Spinach ( There are two ways you can blanch )
Method 1:- Combine the spinach and water ( about 5-6 cups) in a large skillet. Place the skillet over low heat and cover it. Allow the spinach to wilt for five minutes.
Method 2:- Place spinach in a microwave-proof plate/bowl and sprinkle 1 tablespoon water on it. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
2) Make a Puree Of A Blanched Spinach:- To make spinach purée, blend the cooked/blanched spinach in a mixer. Set it aside.
3)Combine flours,baking powder,salt and vegetable oil in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until a crumbly dough forms.
4)Add the spinach puree into the dough and knead. Add water as needed (approx 1/2 Cup) until smooth dough forms. Continue kneading the dough for five minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
5)Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Place the dough balls onto a floured , flat working surface and roll each one into a 10 to 12 inch tortilla with a rolling pin.
6) Preheat a large griddle over medium heat. Brown each tortilla on the griddle for approximately 2 minutes per side.
Serve the spinach tortillas while they are warm...Enjoy:)
More KITCHEN TIPS
1)Once you know how to make spinach tortillas, you can make them as often as you like. They are healthy and yummy. Add some fillings for a complete meal. You can serve them warm .Wrap finished tortillas in a clean tea towel so they stay warm and tender. Use them to make Mexican dishes Or turn them into chips
2) You can also add any seasoning while making the dough as per your choice ( garlic salt, black pepper etc).
3) I never tried to freeze the dough but i did refrigerated the dough for upto 2-3 days.