Mexican rice is commonly known as Spanish rice or sopa de arroz in Mexico ..No Mexican meal is complete without a big platter of fluffy seasoned rice. This is the most simple, delicious Mexican rice recipe you will ever make.You don’t need any special ingredients to make Mexican rice at home, so it’s worth to try it out for yourself.
How To Make Mexican Rice
Preparation Time:- 10 Minutes
Cooking Time:- 30-40 minutes
Long grain white rice:- 1 1/2 Cups
Vegetable oil:- 2 1/2 Tbsp
Tomatoes, seeded and chopped:- 3
Onions, chopped:- 1/2 medium size
Crushed garlic:- 1 Tbsp
Hot Water Or Hot Vegetable broth :- 3 Cups
Peas:- 1/4 Cups
Carrot, chopped:- 1/2 Cup
1) In a blender blend together tomatoes,onion and garlic until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Set it aside.
2)Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes.Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water.This step removes the starch from the rice so it will not stick. IF YOU OMIT THIS STEP YOUR RICE WILL NOT BE DRY AND FLUFFY.
3)Place a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat to a sizzle. (Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready.)
4)Add the rice, stir to coat with the oil. Lower the heat to medium and cook until each grain is separate and pale golden—Approximately 8–10 minutes. ( I usually set the timer to keep track of time).
5)Increase the heat to medium-high and pour the tomato mixture over the rice. Mix well.
6) Cover, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until all of the tomato mixture is absorbed—Approximately 4–5 minutes.
7) Add the hot broth, peas, carrots, and salt, and Stir it up.
8)Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Uncover the pan a few times during cooking to check the liquid. Add more vegetable broth/water if the rice starts to burn and sticks to the bottom of the pan. Do not stir during cooking; it causes the rice to break down and become sticky.
9)Remove the pan from the heat. Let stand, covered, for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Sprinkle cilantro leaves on top and serve hot with lime wedges....enjoy..:)
More VEGAN RECIPES
Notes:- This is a very basic and simple recipe. If you don’t feel the flavor is what you expect from this type of rice, feel free to mix in any spices you prefer.
1) You can also add finely chopped jalapenos or red bell pepper OR add a pinch of black pepper ,Onion ,garlic powder or red pepper flakes too.It's all up to your taste buds.
2)Serve it with burritos or as a side for your preferred Mexican dish.
3)You may substitute canned tomatoes for fresh & use fresh or frozen vegetables not canned.
4) If you are making rice for enchiladas then replace some of the water for rice with red enchilada sauce (your own proportions). Then make your rice as normal.