So crisp on outside and perfectly soft on inside, these crispy lentil fingers makes a perfect healthy party snack/appetizer and also can be packed in a kids lunchbox with a dipping of your choice. See the notes on how do the preparation ahead of time for quick snacking.
Crispy Vegan Lentil Fingers / Moong Dal Ke Pakode
Preparation Time:- 3-4 Hours
Cooking Time:- 30 Minutes
Recipe Source:- Pure & Simple By Vidhu Mittal Cookbook
Green Gram Lentil/ Dhuli Moong Dal:- 3/4 Cup (washed and soaked for atleast 2 hours or overnight)
Ginger/ Adarak:- 2 Tsp , chopped
Green Chillies:- 2 Tsp, chopped
Water for grinding:- 1 1/2 Cups
Vegetable Oil:- 2 Tbsp
Cumin seeds/ Jeera:- 1 1/2 Tsp
Cilantro Leaves/ Dhaniya:- 2 Tbsp, chopped
Vegetable Oil for deep-frying
1) Drain the green gram and grind to a smooth paste with ginger , green chillies & water.
2) Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a non stick pan for a minute; add cumin seeds and turn off the heat when seeds turn brown.
3) Add the lentil paste, salt and cilantro;mix well.
4) Turn on the heat and cook the mixture, stirring constantly , until it leaves the sides of the pan.
5) Pour the mixture, evenly , into a greased 8" square dish and cool it completely ( 3 hours).
6) Cut into rectangular fingers 1 1/2" X 1/2"
7) Heat 1" deep oil in a shallow pan; deep fry the fingers in medium-hot oil until golden brown.
More VEGAN RECIPES
1) Turning off the heat after adding lentil paste is important otherwise the lentil mixture will become lumpy.
2) Serve this snack at a party with a dip of your choice.
3) The lentil mixture can be set ahead of time, refrigerated and fried when required.