Make easy and soul-satisfying food with minimal fuss and quick clean-up. These one-pot meal is perfect for suppers, make-ahead meals or when you just don't feel like spending too much time in the kitchen. Just toss all your ingredients into a single skillet or stockpot and you have no-stress, no-mess recipe for any night of the week.
Preparation Time:- 30 minutes
Cooking Time:- 20-30 minutes
Recipe Source:- Adapted from Pure & Simple Cookbook by Vidhu Mittal
Rice:- 1/2 Cup
Greem Gram Lentil/Dal (split or whole):- 1/2 Cup
Green peas/ Matar:- 3/4 Cup
Carrots/ Gajar, chopped:- 3/4 Cup
Potatoes/Aloo,cubed:- 1 Cup
Turmeric powder/ Haldi:- 1/2 Tsp
Cilantro leaves,chopped:- 2 Tbsp
For the tempering:
Oil:- 1 Tbsp
Asafetida/ Hing:- A pinch
Cumin seeds/ jeera:- 1 Tsp
Black Cardamom/ Badi elaichi:- 2
Cinnamon stick/ dalchini:- 1/2 inch
1) Wash and soak the rice and green gram together in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain
( You can either use pressure cooker or rice cooker to cook the rice , your choice)
2)Put the rice and lentil mixture , add all the cut vegetables , salt & turmeric powder along with 3 cups of water.
3) Cook until done and keep aside to cool.
4) Uncover the lid , add cilantro leaves and season with tempering.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan for 30 seconds, add asafetida , cumin seeds , cloves, black cardamom and cinnamon stick.Top it evenly over the rice mixture.
1) You can use any vegetables you have in your refrigerator to make this wholesome one pot meal.
2)Want to make little spicy throw in some green chillies while cooking the rice.
3) If you don't have cilantro you can also use mint instead(if using mint then add in STEP 2 along with vegetable to the rice)..it also gives the rice very refreshing flavor.
4) Serve this hot with soy yogurt along with some papad/indian cracker, pickle/chutney on the side.
More VEGAN RECIPES