Besan pooris are crispy deep fried puffed Indian flat bread, made with combination of whole wheat flour and chickpea flour along with some spices. These flavorful besan puris can be enjoyed on its own or with chutney/raita & are great to pack for picnics or kids lunch box. It can also be eaten as a breakfast, snack, or as a light meal.
Oil for deep frying
Aatta / Whole Wheat Flour:- 1/2 Cup
Besan/ Chickpea Flour/ Gram Flour:- 1/2 Cup
Sooji/ Semolina:- 1 Tbsp
Ajwain/ Carom seeds:- 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds;- 1/2 Tsp
Chaat Masala:- 1 Tsp
Red Chilli powder:- 1/2 Tsp
Water as per requirement.
1) Mix everything in a bowl except water, add water little by little to make a stiff dough ( dough should not be very soft)
2)Cover the dough with a damp cloth or paper towel and let it sit for 30 minutes
3) Knead the dough again before rolling out.
4) Heat a oil in a deep frying pan ( kadai) on high heat.
5) Divide the dough into small balls (lime size), and roll out into 3" rounds on an oiled surface with a rolling pin.
6) Fry the poori one at a time, holding them under the oil on the first side until they puff. Turn and fry until light brown. Drain and take out on an absorbent paper.
7) Serve hot or at room temperature with any sabji or curry you like..