Light, Moist & flavorful cake to enjoy with a cup off coffee in the morning. This delicious coffee cake is also perfect for brunch or entertaining anytime.Be careful not to overmix your dough once you add wet to dry ingredients, the gluten will develop. Gluten is in the flour and mixing the dough correctly will make a difference between a moist and a dry cake. All ingredients at room temp is also necessary.
Unsalted butter at room temperature:-12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks)
Granulated sugar:- 1 1/2 Cups
Eggs at room temperature:- 3 extra-large
Pure vanilla extract:- 1 1/2 Tsp
Sour cream:- 1 1/4 Cups
Cake flour (not self-rising):- 2 1/2 Cups
Baking powder:- 2 Tsp
Baking soda:- 1/2 Tsp
Kosher salt/:- 1/2 Tsp
For the streusel:
Light brown sugar, packed:- 1/4 Cup
All-purpose flour:- 1/2 Cup
Ground cinnamon:- 1 1/2 Tsp
Kosher salt;- 1/4 Tsp
Cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces:-3 Tbsp
Chopped walnuts:- 3/4 cup ( optional )
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
2) Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light.
3) Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream.
4) In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5) With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
6) For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.
7) Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top.
8) Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate.