I was so excited when i got selected for Nov 24X24 foodbuzz event. I submitted the idea of sharing Punjabi cuisine as my cooking best defines that.So in all it was great experience and i got this wonderful opportunity to share this meal with my family and friends.
Whenever we talk about Punjabi cuisine there are some staple dishes that come to your mind and of those i decided to prepare Dal Makhni, Chatpate chole, Palak Paneer ,Peas Pulao ,Vermicelli/Semiya for dessert along with salad and roti(indian bread).Below you can find the recipes with pictures.
Dal Makhni is a staple dish you can find in any North Indian restaurant Menu..This is a rich dal containing butter and cream so best served for those small/big dinner parties or any get together..
Dal makhni is also called "Maa ki Dal" or "Maah ki Dal"..Actually it doesn't mean mothers dal which i noticed mentioning in so many sites/blogs..In Punjab we actually refer the sabut urad dal (whole unskinned black gram lentil) as " Maah " so called Maa ki dal..:)
Serves 3-4 (inspired from this recipe)
Urad Dal( Black gram lentils):-1/2 cup
Rajma(red kidney beans):- 1/8 cup
Channa dal:- 1/8 cup
Ginger:- 1 tsp
Garlic:-2 cloves (minced)
Green Chillies:- 2-3 ( or as per taste)
Salt as per taste
Turmeric powder:- 1/2 tsp
Ghee:- 4 tbsp
Garlic:- 2 cloves (minced)
Cumin seeds:- 1 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi Seeds:- 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida:- A pinch
Onion:- 1/2 (Finely chopped)
Tomato:- 1 ( Pureed)
Chilli Powder:- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder:- 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala:- 1 tsp
1) Soak Urad dal, rajma & channa dal in water overnight.
2) Boil/Pressure Cook all the soaked lentils together alongwith ginger, garlic. green chillies, salt and turmeric until soft ( it takes about 15 minutes.)
3) To prepare tadka:-
Heat the ghee in a pan and add cumin and methi seeds, when they start to crackle add garlic and fry util light brown ( do not burn the garlic)
4) Add onion and asafoetida and saute until onions become golden brown in color
5) Add tomato puree, chlli powder, turmeric, and garam masala powder and mix everything well
6) Cook for another 3-4 minutes ,add little water if needed.
7) Add the cooked dal in the tadka alongwith cream and butter, mix and let it come to boil , then turn off the gas
A great dish to serve with rotis. Whenever making chole always boil some extra ,drain all the water and put in ziploc container and store in the refrigerator (lasts atleast for a week).
Oil:- 3 Tbsp
Cumin/Jeera:- 1/2 Tsp
Mustard/Rai:- 1/2 Tsp
Garlic:- 2 chopped
Onion:- 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Tomato:- 2 Small chopped
Salt as per taste
Red chilli powder:- 1/2 Tsp
Turmeric powder:- 1/2 Tsp
Garam Masala Powder:- 1 Tsp
Chole:- 2 Cups (Boiled)
Kasoori Methi Powder:- 1/2 Tsp
Aamchoor Powder:- 1/2 Tsp
1) Heat oil in a pan , when hot add cumin and mustard seeds, when they start to crackle add garlic & onions and cook until golden brown
2) Add tomato, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and mix everything well and cook until tomatoes are tender.
3) Add boiled chole/chickpeas to the masala and mix everything well.
4) Add garama masala powder, Aamchoor powder(dry mango powder ) & kasoori methi , mix everything.
Palak or Spinach is the rich source of vitamins, fiber, iron & Paneer is rich in protein, calcium etc.
Palak Paneer is a very nutritious Punjabi side dish, It can be served with chapatis , parathas or with rice.Palak paneer is one of the easiest spinach recipes. There are many ways to prepare palak paneer but i found this the easiest one..
2 to 3 Bunches of spinach ( Available in Indian Grocery stores)
Oil:- 2-3 Tbsp
Cumin seeds:- 1/2 Tsp
Ginger and Garlic:- 1 Tsp (chopped finely)
Tomato:- 2 big or 3 small
salt as per taste
Turmeric, Red Chilli powder, Garam Masala:- 1/2 tsp each
Cream:- 1/2 cup
Paneer:- 1/2 cup
1) Clean and wash the palak.
2) Blanch the spinach or alternatively you can microwave it for couple of minutes in a microwave safe bowl to save some time.
3) Make a puree of palak in a grinder.
4)Heat oil in a kadai/pan. Add cumin seeds , when they start to splutter add ginger, garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
5) Now add onion and fry till golden brown.
6) Add tomatoes and all the spices and cook until tomatoes become tender.
7) Add palak puree and mix everything well, cook until the palak is well cooked.
8) Add paneer and cream and cook for 2-3 minutes.
This is a very easy dessert to make..And it never seems to disappoint anyone as it tastes delicious..Always make it ahead of time as it needs to sit for sometime to get the desired thickness..
Ghee:- 3 tbsp
Slivered almond:- 2 Tbsp
Raisins:- 2 Tbsp
Vermicelli:- 1 cup
Milk:- 6 cup
Sugar:- 1/3 cup
1) Heat ghee in a pan , add almond and raisins & fry
2)Add vermicelli and fry until golden brown.
3) Add Milk and Sugar and mix everything well.
4)Let it cook until the milk reduces a little bit.
5) Switch off the gas, cover the pan and let it sit for an hour
Serve warm or at room temperature..Enjoy:)
This is very easy recipe made with rice and green peas. It is great as a side dish.
Rice:- 2 Cup
Frozen Peas:- 1 cup
Jeera/cumin seeds:- 1 Tsp
Ghee/Oil:- 2 Tbsp
Salt as per taste
1) Wash the rice well in running water and keep aside to soak for 15 minutes.
2) Cook the rice and cool it completely.
3) Heat the oil in a pan, when hot add jeera/cumin seeds.
4) When seeds starts spluttering , add peas and salt, saute for couple of minutes.
5) Add cooked rice and mix everything well.
Cut the thin slices of tomato , cucumber, onions and slit green chillies..Sprinkle it with Salt , cilantro/coriander leaves, lemon juice and blacke pepper as per taste..
Posted by Preety at 12:19 PM