Makki di roti(Roti made from Cornflour) & Sarson da Saag is a traditional meal which is served/cooked on the festival of lohri( celebrated on 13th jan) in PUNJAB(India).
I learned this version of saag from one of my aunt living here in California. Sometimes it is difficult to find fresh ingredients of Saag like Sarson so she used the combination of broccoli & spinach instead of spinach & sarson and i find this recipe more healthy and it tastes delicious too..I yet have to learn how to make makki ki roti from my mom till then enjoy the SAAG:)
Broccoli :- 1
Spinach:- 2 bunches
Ghee:- 2-3 tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing:- A pinch
Cumin seeds:- 1/2 tsp
Garlic(chopped):- 1 tbsp
Onion(chopped):- 1 medium
Tomato(chopped):-1 medium or 1 1/2 small
Salt as per taste
Turmeric powder:- 1tsp
Red chilli Powder:-1tsp
Garam Masla Powder:-1tsp
1) Steam the Spinach in the pan with 1/2 tbsp of garlic & little water for about 4-5 minutes,then puree it in the blender
2) Steam the broccoli in the pressure cooker till soft & set it aside
3) Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat, add cumin seeds, let it splutter.
4) Add remaining garlic & ginger, saute for a minute.
5) Add onion and fry till it is light brown in color.
6) Add tomato & all the spices, mix well, cook till the tomatoes are tender.
7) Mash the broccoli with the back of the spoon and add it to the tomato mixture along with the spinach pure & cornflour.(add little bit of water if needed).
8) Mix everything well & cook for about 30 minutes ..(stir it in between so that it will not stick to the bottom)
Garnish it with ghee and serve hot with roti..
Posted by Preety at 1:52 PM