Pulao is my all time favorite dish, it is easy to make in many variations. I found this recipe here. I took some leftover chickpeas and gave it a try..it turned out very good.. I made some changes to add my personal touch..
It can be served as side dish or with any curry of your choice or wrap in a tortilla.
Ghee/Oil/Butter:- 1 tbsp
Jeera/Cumin Seeds:- 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds:- 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf:- 1
Black Cardomom:- 1
Cinnamon stick:- 1 inch
Garlic Cloves(Chopped):- 2
Salt & Pepper as per taste
Tomato(Chopped):- 2 medium
Chickpeas(Boiled):- 1 1/2 cup
Rice:- 1 Cup
Vegetable Stock/Water:- 2 cups
Lemon Juice of 1/2 lemon( or as per your taste)
1) Melt ghee in a pan, put bay leaf , cinnamon stick & black cardamom.
2) Add jeera, mustard and let it splutter.
3) Add garlic and fry until light brown.
4) Add tomatoes and cook over medium heat stirring in between.
5) Add chickpeas, salt & pepper to the tomato mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes.
6) Add stock/water & lemon juice to the tomato & chickpeas.
7) Bring it to the boil and add rice
8) Cover & reduce heat, cook for about 20 minutes.
9) Turn off the heat and let the rice sit undisturbed for 30 minutes.
NOTE:- This dish tastes best when it is made with fresh tomatoes..
Serve hot or at room temperature...Enjoy:)