This recipe calls for white mushrooms but you may make this with almost any seasonal mushrooms. Whichever kind you get, cut them into large, chunky pieces so they do not get lost in the sauce.
Fresh ginger (peeled and chopped):- 1 1/2 inch piece
Onion small (peeled and chopped):- 1
Garlic (peeled and chopped):- 3 cloves
Fresh large mushrooms:- 1 pound
Vegetable Oil:- 6 Tbsp
Plain yogurt:- 3 Tbsp
Tomato paste:- 1 Tsp
Ground coriander:- 2 Tsp
Salt:- 3/4 Tsp
Cayenne Pepper:- 1/8 or 1/4 Tsp
Chopped Fresh Cilantro:- 2 Tbsp
1) Put the ginger, onion and garlic into the container of an electric blender along with 3 tbsp water and blend until smooth.
2) Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth and cut them into halves or quarters , depending upon the size.
3) Put 3 tbsp of the oil in a non stick frying pan ans st over high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the mushrooms.Stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms have lost their raw look. empty the contents of the pan into a bowl.Wipe the pan.
4) Put the remaining 3 Tbsp oil into the pan and set over high heat.When the oil is hot put in the paste from the blender.
5)Stir and fry for 3-4 minutes until it starts turning brown. Add 1 tbsp of yogurt and fry for 30 seconds.Add another tbsp of yogurt and fry for 30 sec . Do this third time.
6) Now put in the tomato paste and fry for 30 seconds.
7) Put in the ground coriander and stir once or twice.
8)Now put in 1 1/4 cups water, the mushrooms and their juices, salt and cayenne pepper.Stir and bring to a simmer.
9)Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cilantro over the top before serving.