If you love bell pepper then you must try this recipe , it has a real nice but different flavor with all those unique blend of ingredients and cashews add a little crunch too.. This recipe is great for those dinner parties where you want to make something in less time but is a real crowd pleaser too..
Recipe Source:- Mridula Baljekar's Real BALTI Cookbook
Prep Time:- 25 minutes
Cook Time:- 10-12 minutes
Sweet Red Pepper:- 1
Sweet Yellow Pepper:-1
Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes:- 200g
Sesame Seeds:- 2 Tbsp
White Poppy Seeds:- 1 Tbsp
Channa Dal or Yellow Split Peas:- 2 Tsp
Black Peppercorns:- 8
Dried Red Chilli, Chopped:- 1
Sunflower or Corn Oil:- 3 Tbsp
Black Mustard Seeds:- 1/2 Tsp
Fenugreek Seeds:- 1/4 Tsp
Ground Turmeric:- 1/4 Tsp
Raw Cashew Nuts Split:- 50 gm or 2 oz
Salt :- 1 Tsp or to taste
Tamarind Concentrate ;- 1/2 Tsp or Lime Juice:- 1 1/2 Tbsp
Boiling Water:- 150 ml
Soft Brown Sugar:- 4 Tsp
1) Remove the core and seeds from the peppers and cut them into 2.5 cm cubes
2) Bring 300 ml water to the boil in a pan and add the potatoes . Bring back to the boil, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.Remove them with slotted spoon and spread on a plate to prevent further cooking.Reserve the cooking liquid.
3) In a coffee grinder, finely grind the sesame and poppy seeds, channa dal or yellow split peas, peppercorns and dried red chilli.
4) Preheat the pan over a medium heat for a few seconds and add the oil. When hot, but not smoking, add the mustard seeds. As soon as they pop, add the fenugreek seeds and immediately follow with the ground ingredients , turmeric and cashew nuts. Increase the heat slightly and stir fry for 30 seconds.
5) Add the peppers and salt and stir fry for 1 minute, then add the potatoes and reserved liquid. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
6) Blend the tamarind with the boiling water and add to the vegetables. Do not worry of the tamarind is not fully dissolved when you add it; it will soon dissolve in the pan.
7) Add the sugar and reduce the heat to medium; cook for 5-6 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and serve at once.
Serve hot with roti/ Inidan Bread..Enjoy:)
Posted by Preety at 1:49 PM