Channa/chole is also known as White chick peas or garbanzo beans. Channa Masala or Chole Masala is a famous Punjabi dish. You can easily find this dish in any Indian restaurant Menu.You can make this with or without gravy , the recipe is with gravy but if you are planning to prepare without gravy then stop after no 9. This dish can be best served with hot pooris, raita and onion( for salad). There are many different ways to prepare chole but this is the simplest way i prepare , will be sharing more recipes soon
Channa/Chole/Garbanzo beans:- 2 Cups (Soaked overnight and boiled)
Oil:- 4-5 Tbsp
Ginger:- 1 Tbsp
Garlic:- 1 Tbsp
Cumin seeds/ Jeera:- 1 Tsp
Mustard Seeds:- 1/2 Tsp
Asafoetida:- A pinch
Onion:- 1 (chopped)
Tomato:- 3 small (chopped)
Turmeric powder:- 1/2 Tsp( heaping)
Red Chilli Powder:- 1/2 Tsp( heaping)
Garam Masala Powder:- 1/2 Tsp( heaping)
Salt as per taste
Channa Masala (Any brand you have/Like):- 1 Tsp
Kasoori Methi Powder:- 1/2 Tsp
Aamchoor Powder:- 1/2 Tsp
1) Soak the channa overnight and then boil it by adding 1 tsp of turmeric and salt (as per taste)..
2) To prepare tadka , heat oil in a pan jeera /cumin seeds, Mustard , when they start to splutter then add ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
3) Now add onions, stir it till it becomes brown in color.
4) Add tomatoes , turmeric,Chilli powder ,garam masala & little water(1-2 tbsp approx) , mix it well.
5) Saute the mixture till tomatoes become soft (Approximately for 5-7 minutes)
6) Switch off the gas and let the tadka cool down.
7) Grind the tadka mixture in a grinder/ food processor to a smooth paste.
8) Now again cook the tadka paste for 2-3 minutes.
9)Add the boiled channa (drained from water/save the water) into the mixture, add Channa masala, Aamchoor Powder and Kasoori Methi,cook for 2-3 minutes
1o) Add enough drained water slowly in the above channa mixture to make a thick gravy.
Serve hot with Rice or Roti ..Enjoy:)
Posted by Preety at 10:23 PM