Mathris are the perfect anywhere, anytime snack. These crisp crackers taste can be served with a hot cup of tea! Mathris keep really well for up to a month, if stored in an air tight container, in a cool dry place.
Til Wali Mathris / Sesame Flavored Crisp Savory Indian Vegan Crackers
Preparation Time:- 15 Minutes
Cooking Time:- 15 Minutes
Recipe Source:- Adapted From Times Of India
Whole Wheat flour:- 1 Cup
All-purpose flour (or Maida):- 1/2 Cup
Semolina or Sooji or Rava:- 1/4 Cup
Carom / Ajwain seeds:- 1/2 Tbsp
Black pepper:- 1 Tsp
Salt:- 2 Tsp Or as per taste
Sesame seeds/ til:- 3 Tsp
Oil:- 2 Tbsp
Oil for frying
1) Mix all the dry ingredients and keep aside.
2) In a small pan, heat oil and then add this to the dry mixture. Mix well.
3) Knead the dough using lukewarm water. Cover it and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
4) Later, divide the dough into 2-3 balls. Roll each ball and using fork poke the rolled dough. This will help the mathris/crackers to stay flat.
5)Using cookie cutter cut the rolled dough into shapes you like. If you don't have cookie cutter, you can use any small bottle lid or a knife and cut the shapes.
To Deep Fry:-
Heat the oil in a frying pan or a deep fryer. When hot add some Mathris into the hot oil. Do not crowd them or they will not fry well. Fry, gently turning and flipping every now and then, till the Mathris are a pale golden brown in color. When done, use a slotted spoon to drain extra oil and remove the Mathris. Put them on paper towels to drain some more. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Preheat the oven at 350 degree F (180 degree C). Arrange all the mathris on baking tray and Bake for 13-15 mins.Remove the cookie sheet when the mathris turns golden brown.
More Vegan Recipes
1)The mathri dough should be firm and not soft.
2) While you are rolling out the Mathris, set up the oil for frying, on a medium heat - you can use a frying pan or a deep fryer. Do not heat the oil too much as the Mathris will cook too fast and will end up being soft and not crisp.
3) Once the Mathris have been rolled out, test the oil to check its temperature. by dropping a tiny ball of the dough into it. If it sizzles and rises quickly to the top, the oil is ready for frying.
4)After frying is completed, allow the oil to cool for 15 minutes and, while still warm, strain through a fine sieve to remove any bits of flour.
5)Mathris keep really well for up to a month, if stored in an air tight container, in a cool dry place.