This is absolutely the best way to eat tofu, especially for first timers. This simple meatless stir-fry of tofu has a subtle yet addictive flavor ,perfect for a weeknight meal and can be served over steamed rice for a satisfying vegetarian dinner.
How To Make Indian Style Vegan Tofu Masala Fry
Preparation Time:- 10 Minutes
Cooking Time:- 10 Minutes
Oil:- 3-4 tbsp
Cumin seeds/ Jeera:- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds/ Rai:- 1/2 tsp
Ginger:- 1 tbsp (chopped finely)
Garlic:- 1 tbsp (chopped finely)
Onion:- 1 medium (Cut lengthwise)
Tomato:- 1-2 medium size (pureed)
Salt as per taste
Turmeric powder or haldi:- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder:- 1/2 tsp
Garam Masalapowder:- 1/2 tsp
Tofu,firm(drained , washed & Cut into cubes):- 1 1/2 or 2 cup
Soy sauce:- 1 tbsp
Tomato ketchup:- 1 tbsp
1) Heat oil in a pan..when hot add cumin & mustard seeds, allow it to splutter.
2) Add ginger & garlic and saute it for 1 minute.
3) Add onion and fry until they are translucent. Add tomato puree and all the spices ( salt, turmeric, red chilli powder & garam masla)
4) Mix everything well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5) Add soy sauce , tomato ketchup and tofu , mix everything well.
6)Cook for at lest 2-3 minutes..
More Vegan Recipes
1) Always prepare this dish at least 1-2 hours in advance so that there is enough time for the tofu to absorb all the flavors.
2) You can fry the tofu in little bit of oil before adding to the sabzi/stir fry. ( this step is optional).
3)Use firm or extra firm tofu for our simple tofu recipes. If your tofu seems too soft, wrap in a dishtowel or paper towels, and press it with a brick or book or something heavy to squeeze out excess water, for 5 - 10 minutes
4) Any leftover stirfry can be stored in a air tight container in the refrigerator.