Pizzas can be healthy too. This homemade pizza dough has whole wheat crust and is topped with fresh vegetables and cheese.I like to roll my dough thin to make each slice more healthy. So next time when you are craving for pizza and don't want the fat , try this healthy alternative pizaa dough recipe and enjoy.
Whole Wheat Flour:- 2 Cups
All Purpose flour:- 1 Cup
Flax Seed Powder:- 1/4 Cup
Warm water:- 1 cup
Sugar:- 2 Tbsp
Salt:- 1/2 Tsp
Capsicum, Onion, Mushroom, Olives (thinly sliced)
Mozzarella cheese 1-2 cup
1. Warm the water in the microwave. Make sure it is not hot otherwise it will kill the yeast.
2. Mix yeast, sugar, salt, oil and warm water together in a bowl. Leave it for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes you should see a froth appearing on this mixture. This indicates that yeast is active and it will do a great job on your dough.
3. Add wholewheat flour, all purpose flour and flax seed in the above mixture (from step 2), mix everything well , make this into dough. You may have to adjust the water or flour little bit as needed. When adjusting do it 1-2 tablespoons at a time.
4. After making dough cover dough with some oil so that it doesn't dry while we let it to rise or you can cover it with food wrap also.
5. For best rising, select temp as 350F and bake time one minute, turn the oven off after one minute even if it says preheat. The idea is to create a warm environment for the yeast to do its work. Cover the dough with food wrap and let dough rest inside this warm place for 1.5-2 hours. The dough will double in size.
6. Since you have now at least 1.5 hours. This is the best time to prepare toppings. I use canned olives, fresh bell peppers, Onions, mushroom etc. Also make sure you measure cheese 1 or 2 cups and leave it to thaw.
7. Punch down this dough and now form it into sphere. Grease the pizza pan with some oil and then put spherical dough in the center of pizza pan and form it into a disk. I do this by hands and not by rolling pin( you can use the rolling pin if you wish). Make it at least 12" large in diameter so make sure pizza pan is large enough. I use 15"X14" rectangle pan.
8. Let dough stand for 20 more minutes. Spread 1/2 of the cheese and then put other toppings and finally finish with remaining cheese.
9. Bake the pizza for 15 minutes at bottom most rack in oven at 450. Make sure the oven is preheated before you put the pizza in.
Enjoy your healthy Pizza..:)