Arbi (Taro Root) Fry

Arbi or Arvi also known as taro root is a starchy, potato like tuber with a brown, fibrous skin and gray-white flesh. Arbi is one of our family favorite side dish and i found this is the simplest and most flavorful way to prepare Arbi..

Taro root (tuber) is an excellent source of energy, which the body needs to stay active. It also provides fiber, which is needed to make the intestines and bowels work properly. Taro root is also a good source of calcium and iron

Ingredients:-

Arbi:- 6-8 (Peeled, Washed & cut into thin slices)
Oil:- 3-4 tbsp
Cumin seeds/ Jeera:- 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds:- 1/2 tsp
Salt as per requirement
Turmeric powder:- 1tsp
Red chilli powder:- 1/2 tsp
Garam masala Powder:- 1 tsp

Procedure:-

1) Cut the Arbi into thin slices.
2) Heat oil in a pan( preferably use non stick pan ), add Jeera, mustard , salt, turmeric , red chilli powder , garam masala & arbi.
3) Mix everything well and let it cook for 10 minutes covered and then uncovered , stirring in between.
4) Arbi is cooked when it is soft but not mushy.

NOTE:- You can also preboil & then Arbi and then follow the same recipe.

Serve hot as a side dish with roti..Enjoy:)




29 comments:

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Love taro root. It's very popular in kerala.

sathya said...

looks delicious and spicy. i never tried it before...

Priya Sriram said...

Yummy fry... Nice sidedish.. would go with any rice variety, :)

Deepa Hari said...

Arbi fry looks Yummy Peety...one of my fav....love to have with sambar and yogurt rice.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

arbi looks sooo good.. it's my fav. been long time since i made it. i usually cut arbi into 2 and fry it.. never sliced it thin.

Pooja said...

Looking delicious preethy..I deep fry the arbi..

Shama Nagarajan said...

taro root is one of my favourite....it looks crispy and perfect...i too hv posted it a long time back..here is the link http://easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/09/perfect-combo-paruppu-sepang-kilangu.html.........

Shama Nagarajan said...

taro root is one of my favourite....it looks crispy and perfect...i too hv posted it a long time back..here is the link http://easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/09/perfect-combo-paruppu-sepang-kilangu.html.........

Indian Khana said...

Looks perfect ....just the way I like...

Priya Suresh said...

I love this side dish, urs looks too crispy preety!

LifenSpice said...

I love taro root..looks delicious!

Chutneytales said...

I too love arbi..the stir-fry looks yummy!I like to have with rasam n rice

Saritha said...

Simple recipe.I boil it first and then fry it.Next time will try ur recipe.

FH said...

Never tasted it but looks so delicious! :)

Gita Jaishankar said...

The fry looks delicious Pooja, I love this with sambar and rasam!

Anonymous said...

Nostalgic for me..Love taro roots so so much that after seeing this,i am dying for some...lovely

Lavanya said...

looks yummy n nice pic too :)
even i have one version of taroroot fry..check my blog when you have time!!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love such simple dishes .. looks very tasty

Cham said...

Nice one, I would prefer with rasam rice.

Manju said...

soo simple, yet delicious..love it with some sambar or rasam anyday!

Varsha Vipins said...

Looks yumm-o.!..I would love to have it with some plain curd rice Preety..:)

Vibaas said...

i love taro root. this looks yum. i make it similarly, but instead of redchilli powder + garam masala, i use sambar powder. yours looks delicious.

Preety said...

sambhar powder souds good too vibaas will try this next time

Sanghi said...

My favourite one..! yummy:)

chef and her kitchen said...

Hi preety..thanks for visiting my blog...i love Taro fry...and urs look yummy...

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Taro root fry looks yummy.Also luved the picture,looks so tempting.

Namratha said...

I had this for the first time at a friend's place, and loved it so much that I kept asking her what it was! :D Looks good!

kittymatti said...

Interesting.. I have never tried the N. Indian version of this.Will make it when I make chappatis next :) Will give it a shot this week! Looks great.

Manidipa said...

Just wanted to know if we can add amchur to it ...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...